Sunday, June 19, 2011

Simple Butterfly Motif

Hello again! So I know I said I'd come up with some earring patterns for you all, but I've been playing around the last few days, and it just wasn't coming. What DID come, however, was this cute little butterfly. ;) I know there's gobs of butterfly applique patterns out there already, but I thought it was pretty cute, and I need practice writing patterns anyway, so I figured why not. This little guy CAN be made into earrings as well, which I plan on doing in the near future. I'm also going to be putting this up as a free PDF download on Ravelry if you want to skip the whole copy/paste nonsense. As always, comments/critiques/questions are appreciated.

In other news, another pattern is in the works...and you may recognize it from an earlier post. ;) 


Simple Butterfly Motif
by Kaity Harding

This quick three round motif is a great addition to any piece of crochet apparel, such as purses, hats, or scarves. You can even make them into earrings!

Hook & Yarn: Any size yarn with the proper corresponding hook would do, depending on the size you wish to make. (The motif pictured is 6.5cm across at the widest point, done with sport weight/#3 yarn and a G6/4.00mm hook.)

Abbreviations:
Ch = chain
St = stitch
Slst = slip stitch
Sc = single crochet
Hdc = half double crochet
Dc = double crochet
Tc = triple/treble crochet

Pattern:
Rnd 1) ch 2, 8 sc in first ch, join with slst.

Rnd 2) ch 1 (do not turn), sc in same stitch; ch 5, skip one st, sc in next st; ch 4, sc in next st; slst, then sc in next 2 stitches; ch 4, sc in next st; ch 5, skip one st, sc in next st .

Rnd 3) ch 2, turn; [2 dc, 1 tc, 3 dc, 3 hdc, 1 sc] in ch5 space; 7sc in ch4 space, repeat in next ch4 space; [1 sc, 3 hdc, 3 dc, 1 tc, 3 dc] in ch5 space; slst between wings to secure, finish off.

Weave in ends for a standalone piece or leave tail to sew onto another piece. Enjoy!

© Kaity Harding
This pattern may not be reproduced or sold. Feel free to sell what you’ve made, but PLEASE give credit where credit is due – give my name or a link when selling products made from this pattern! 

4 comments:

  1. You were featured on my blog: WouldYouLikeYarnWithThat.blogspot.com! Go on over and pick up your button!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this...I popped over from would you like yarn with that.

    ReplyDelete